We strive for exceptional diversity, and utilize “better-than-organic”, no-till methods to produce food that is unique, beautiful and delicious. Our CSA membership is a great way to help us support our community while enjoying some fresh and healthy food and keeping your money local.
CSA members will receive weekly shares of the farm’s bounty, as well as suggested preparations, recipes, and some historic or otherwise interesting tidbits about the products! You will see lots of familiar staples, as well as some lesser-known but wonderful foods. We know that unfamiliar vegetables can be daunting to tackle in a busy life, so we will do everything we can to help you grow your horizons and look forward to you helping us to grow ours!
Our news page includes all our latest newsletters, which frequently includes our own recipes or recipes from other CSA members.Complete the Form
TO JOIN OUR CSA
2018 CSA Information:
We are offering 25 shares this year.
- Delivery Dates: All shares run 20 weeks beginning in late May.
- Payment and application are due by April 20th (but please let us know if you plan to apply so that we can temporarily reserve your share).
- Cost: Shares cost $400.00 ($20.00 worth of food each week).
- Pickup: will be on Wednesdays at two locations.
Please CHOOSE ONE for the entire season:
- Winding Stair Farm Nursery, 57 Saunders Rd, Franklin, NC (between 8-11am)
- Founders Park, Pine Street, Highlands, NC (between 12-1pm)
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What will I get in my CSA share?
As you would expect, the produce will vary each week depending on what’s in season. In the beginning, there will be a lot of greens and produce that can tolerate the cold until the fruiting produce is ready to harvest (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, etc.). We plan our planting and harvesting so that you will never be overloaded with one particular item. We plan to grow: Asian greens, beans (fresh and dried), beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, collards, cucumbers, eggs, eggplants, endive and escarole, greens mixes, kale, leeks, lettuce, onions, parsnips, peas, hot and sweet peppers, radicchio, radishes, rutabaga, summer and winter squash, swiss chard, tomatillos, tomatoes, turnips, watermelon, and so many herbs…
2. What if I realize I’m going to be late or miss the pickup time?
Please call AND text Michelle (919-621-0844). We might be able to save your food for you if you’re willing to come out to the farm. This is hard for us to coordinate, however, so we hope it doesn’t happen often, but we do understand that life is complicated!
3. What if we are going to be out of town for several weeks this summer?
We will give you a voucher for one of those weeks if you let us know in advance. The voucher will be worth the price of your weekly share ($20) for you to use at our table at the Franklin Farmers’ Market, Saturday mornings 8am to noon. For the other weeks, we suggest you find a friend or neighbor who might want to pick up your food. You may also choose to have us donate your share to the local food pantry.
4. How does Winding Stair Farm figure out the value of the vegetables each week to add up to the total amount?
We use the same prices for the CSA that we use at the Franklin Farmers’ Market. Occasionally, we charge the CSA a little bit less than market prices.
TO JOIN OUR CSA